Read Our Report:
The Bree Collaborative Spine and Low Back Pain Report and Recommendations (Adopted November 2013)
Read the Spine SCOAP Recommendation:
Revised Spine SCOAP Recommendation to HCA (Adopted March 2013)
Low back pain is a major concern for many Washington State residents and their employers. We prioritized spine/low back pain in September 2011 through a two-step approach:
- Forming a workgroup to develop recommendations for preventing the transition of acute pain to chronic pain and disability.
- Recommending that all hospitals participate in the Spine Surgical Care and Outcomes Assessment Program (SCOAP) to improve surgical outcomes for chronic low back pain patients. SCOAP is a provider-led program of the Foundation for Health Care Quality that collects data on select surgical procedures for quality improvement.
Recommendations include increasing:
- Appropriate evaluation and management of patients with newly diagnosed and persistent acute low back pain and/or nonspecific low back pain not associated with major trauma in primary care.
- Early identification and management of patients diagnosed with low back pain that is not associated with major trauma but have psychosocial factors (e.g., anxiety) that place them at a high risk for developing chronic low back pain and disability.
- Awareness of low back pain management among individual patients and the general public.
The workgroup met from November 2012 to October 2013.
Letter from Health Care Authority Accepting TKR/THR Bundle, Warranty, and Spine Report
Public Comments Summary: Spine/Low Back Pain Report and Recommendations
Original Spine SCOAP Recommendation to HCA (Adopted January 2013)
Letter from Health Care Authority Accepting Spine SCOAP and Cardiology Recommendations
|Dan Brzusek DO||Physiatrist||Northwest Rehab Association|
|Neil Chasan||Physical Therapist||Sport Reaction Center|
|Andrew Friedman MD||Physiatrist||Virginia Mason|
|Leah Hole-Curry JD||Medical Administrator||WA State Labor & Industries|
|Heather Kroll MD||Rehab Physician||Rehab Institute of Washington|
|Chong Lee MD||Spine Surgeon||Group Health Cooperative|
|Mary Kay O’Neill MD, MBA (Chair)||Executive Medical Director||Regence Blue Shield|
|John Robinson MD, SM||Chief Medical Officer||First Choice Health|
|Michael Von Korff ScD||Psychologist & Researcher||Group Health Research Institute|
|Kelly Weaver MD||Physiatrist||The Everett Clinic|